Durdel Door, Dorset Pigs Ear Crab apples Kew Palace Fly agaric - Amanita muscaria Gull

Borneo insects

Borneo insects

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

You asked for other photos. Here are a couple of unusual ones - but not mammals this time.

This dragonfly really is this colour. There are also red ones.

I'll add the images Wink and have a look for an ID on the Ladybird tonight

Edit: Do you have an approximate size for the ladybird? 5mm? 8mm? 10+mm?

Cheers, Arp

I'd say 10mm across.

I'm new to this forum, what do you mean when you say you will add the images?

Pudding4brains;15888 wrote:
I'll add the images Wink

Growltiger;15889 wrote:
I'd say 10mm across.

I'm new to this forum, what do you mean when you say you will add the images?

Pudding4brains meant he would add the thumbnails to the thread rather than the larger image. Often the thumbnails are just added (by using the Linked Thumbnail: code) to forum posts so the pages don't get distorted, but if people click on the thumbnail they can get to see the larger image. Smile .

It is a beauty isn't it!

I wonder if this could be a Crimson Dropwing - Trithemis aurora?

Howdy,

Actually, when I was viewing the thread I didn't see any images. I checked the code in Growltiger's message and didn't quite see what was wrong, but I didn't see any images displayed anyway - so I just added the codes for the thumbs to my message (and those did show). Maybe there just was a temporary server hick-up or something?

Anyway - I'm fairly sure the ladybird (excellent image btw! ) should be Megalocaria reichei (previously known as Anisolemnia reichei, Neda infirmata, Caria tibialis, Caria rufitarsis and maybe some other names (?)

There is a subspecies ~ pearsoni described for this species, but that one should be mostly orange with a few black sprinkles.

Supposedly this form is quite variable and indeed the only other image I could find under this name (on the internet) has significantly more black on the elytra.

So, your image seems to be quite unique Stick Out Tongue Do you often see this species? Would you have more images to show the variability?

I would be very interested to use your image on a website about the ladybirds of Java that I'm (still, slowly Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) ) preparing. Could you give me permission to use it? Of course with proper copyright notice and your name as photo autor Smile

Where in Borneo are you at? Indonesia or Malaysia ?

Thanks for sharing your images - great to see this species Smile

Cheers, Arp

My visit to Borneo was to Sabah, Malaysia. The ladybird was at Kinabalu Park (near Mount Kinabalu).

I have more photos of the same ladybird. I only kept one other, but I will look in the trash for some others and upload them later.

Originally it was sitting on a stainless steel rail. It flew and I followed it to where I took the photo you have seen.

Yes, you can upload it to your website with a photo credit to me. Please PM me with your name and web address of the ladybirds and I'll reply with my name for the photo credit.

Hi Growltiger,

Growltiger;15903 wrote:
My visit to Borneo was to Sabah, Malaysia. The ladybird was at Kinabalu Park (near Mount Kinabalu).

Yes - silly me - it wasn't until later that I discovered the location in the file name Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)

Quote:
Yes, you can upload it to your website with a photo credit to me.

Excellent - thank you very much Smile

Cheers, Arp

Here are more photos. This one I kept.

These two I discarded as substandard, but they may be of interest:

goosey;15890 wrote:
It is a beauty isn't it!

I wonder if this could be a Crimson Dropwing - Trithemis aurora?

Yes, it appears to be Crimson Dropwing, which also appears to be known as Crimson Marsh Glider.

Now I have a new puzzle. Immediately next to the dragonfly was another one. Here is its photo:

You can even see the crimson one in the background. This one looks the same but is red. Is it the same species - but the male Crimsons are crimson and their females are quite different, olive coloured.

So what is it please?

The crimson dragonfly originally posted is Trithemis aurora, as has been said (T. annulata, found in Africa, the Middle East, and southern Europe is very similar - and without the location being given might not be possible to eliminate from the photo!).

The scarlet dragonfly in the ninth post looks like it might be Orthetrum testaceum - although I'll have to have another look later when I've got more time.

RoyW;15951 wrote:
The scarlet dragonfly in the ninth post looks like it might be Orthetrum testaceum - although I'll have to have another look later when I've got more time.

It's either O.testaceum or O. chrysis. Both are very similar, and males are seemingly best seperated by a the presence of a tuft of setae in front of the secondary genitallia on chrysis. I can't see any sign of this, but the region is obscured by the yellow hind wing bases, and it may be that this is present but not visible in the photo. Both species are widespread in the region.

Thanks again.

New Forum Topics

Topic Last post
3 unknown fungi
by basquesteve on Tue, 29 Jul 14 , 3 replies
by bulbosa
1 day 9 hours ago
Amanita?
by goosey on Mon, 28 Jul 14 , 2 replies
by goosey
2 days 7 hours ago
Moth ID from description only please
by Suzanne B on Sun, 27 Jul 14 , 2 replies
by Suzanne B
4 days 1 hour ago
Find of the day (Page: 1, 2, 3Last Page)
by goosey on Sat, 10 Sep 11 , 142 replies
by goosey
4 days 3 hours ago
Wing shedding insect
by goosey on Tue, 22 Jul 14 , 5 replies
by fishingcat
1 week 1 day ago
Slime mould for ID
by goosey on Wed, 19 Feb 14 , 8 replies
by Slymouldy
1 week 2 days ago
Slime mould for ID
by goosey on Wed, 31 Jul 13 , 7 replies
by goosey
2 weeks 2 days ago
Toadflax sp. found in May in Portugal for ID please
by bluenapoleon on Fri, 11 Jul 14 , 5 replies
by goosey
2 weeks 2 days ago
New to The Netherlands theYellow-legged Tortoiseshell!
by goosey on Tue, 15 Jul 14 , 2 replies
by goosey
2 weeks 2 days ago
BOP id please
by Suzanne B on Mon, 14 Jul 14 , 0 replies
by Suzanne B
2 weeks 3 days ago