Possibly Oeonistis altica (Lepidoptera, Erebidae) Sarangan, Java Ice in Amsterdam Tricholomopsis rutilans Comma Dipper, Strömstare, Eurasian White-fronted Dipper, Cinclus cinclus Test aid

Rare butterfly for Egypt

Rare butterfly for Egypt

2 posts / 0 new
Last post

A couple of days ago, I spent a few hours walking the 27 acres of the grounds of Cairo's Agricultural Museum, which incidentally is the oldest of its kind in the world.

As its not at the top of tourists’ ‘must visit’ list , the gardens are gloriously run down. The gardeners work at a pace that matches their appalling government wages and spend most of their time snoozing in the shade. There are some magnificent trees from all over the world many of which are hundreds of years old and a huge collection of palms, cactii, succulents and euphorbia and flowering shrubs.

There are also areas of ‘set aside’ that no gardener has visited for years, consequently it’s a wildlife paradise. I have intended to photograph birds however, there wasn’t an interesting species in sight or hearing for that matter.

For me, a first in any species is exciting and I glimpsed a butterfly I have only seen once before – you’ll have to take my word for it as I didn’t get a pic. I spent the next half an hour stalking the bl***y evasive beast until he was as exhausted as I was!

Cheers to the male Precis hierta [Yellow Pansy] which is very rare here.

Sounds an enchanting place and certainly worth the effort of chasing the beast! Well done .... Smile

Jacqueline Burrell;6295 wrote:
A couple of days ago, I spent a few hours walking the 27 acres of the grounds of Cairo's Agricultural Museum, which incidentally is the oldest of its kind in the world.

As its not at the top of tourists’ ‘must visit’ list , the gardens are gloriously run down. The gardeners work at a pace that matches their appalling government wages and spend most of their time snoozing in the shade. There are some magnificent trees from all over the world many of which are hundreds of years old and a huge collection of palms, cactii, succulents and euphorbia and flowering shrubs.

There are also areas of ‘set aside’ that no gardener has visited for years, consequently it’s a wildlife paradise. I have intended to photograph birds however, there wasn’t an interesting species in sight or hearing for that matter.

For me, a first in any species is exciting and I glimpsed a butterfly I have only seen once before – you’ll have to take my word for it as I didn’t get a pic. I spent the next half an hour stalking the bl***y evasive beast until he was as exhausted as I was!

Cheers to the male Precis hierta [Yellow Pansy] which is very rare here.

Who's online

There are currently 2 users online.

New Forum Topics

Topic Last post
Wing shedding insect
by goosey on Tue, 22 Jul 14 , 5 replies
by fishingcat
3 days 54 min ago
Find of the day (Page: 1, 2, 3Last Page)
by goosey on Sat, 10 Sep 11 , 141 replies
by bulbosa
3 days 18 hours ago
Slime mould for ID
by goosey on Wed, 19 Feb 14 , 8 replies
by Slymouldy
3 days 18 hours ago
Slime mould for ID
by goosey on Wed, 31 Jul 13 , 7 replies
by goosey
1 week 3 days ago
Toadflax sp. found in May in Portugal for ID please
by bluenapoleon on Fri, 11 Jul 14 , 5 replies
by goosey
1 week 3 days ago
New to The Netherlands theYellow-legged Tortoiseshell!
by goosey on Tue, 15 Jul 14 , 2 replies
by goosey
1 week 3 days ago
BOP id please
by Suzanne B on Mon, 14 Jul 14 , 0 replies
by Suzanne B
1 week 4 days ago
Ladybird pupa
by Suzanne B on Sun, 13 Jul 14 , 1 replies
by goosey
1 week 5 days ago
European Bison (Bison bonasus)