Boletus sp.  1/2 Unknown weevil - St Pol, Brittany Dead famous Spotted Hyena Dead Hedgehog :( Toulouse miscellany

Rare butterfly for Egypt

Rare butterfly for Egypt

2 posts / 0 new
Last post

A couple of days ago, I spent a few hours walking the 27 acres of the grounds of Cairo's Agricultural Museum, which incidentally is the oldest of its kind in the world.

As its not at the top of tourists’ ‘must visit’ list , the gardens are gloriously run down. The gardeners work at a pace that matches their appalling government wages and spend most of their time snoozing in the shade. There are some magnificent trees from all over the world many of which are hundreds of years old and a huge collection of palms, cactii, succulents and euphorbia and flowering shrubs.

There are also areas of ‘set aside’ that no gardener has visited for years, consequently it’s a wildlife paradise. I have intended to photograph birds however, there wasn’t an interesting species in sight or hearing for that matter.

For me, a first in any species is exciting and I glimpsed a butterfly I have only seen once before – you’ll have to take my word for it as I didn’t get a pic. I spent the next half an hour stalking the bl***y evasive beast until he was as exhausted as I was!

Cheers to the male Precis hierta [Yellow Pansy] which is very rare here.

Sounds an enchanting place and certainly worth the effort of chasing the beast! Well done .... Smile

Jacqueline Burrell;6295 wrote:
A couple of days ago, I spent a few hours walking the 27 acres of the grounds of Cairo's Agricultural Museum, which incidentally is the oldest of its kind in the world.

As its not at the top of tourists’ ‘must visit’ list , the gardens are gloriously run down. The gardeners work at a pace that matches their appalling government wages and spend most of their time snoozing in the shade. There are some magnificent trees from all over the world many of which are hundreds of years old and a huge collection of palms, cactii, succulents and euphorbia and flowering shrubs.

There are also areas of ‘set aside’ that no gardener has visited for years, consequently it’s a wildlife paradise. I have intended to photograph birds however, there wasn’t an interesting species in sight or hearing for that matter.

For me, a first in any species is exciting and I glimpsed a butterfly I have only seen once before – you’ll have to take my word for it as I didn’t get a pic. I spent the next half an hour stalking the bl***y evasive beast until he was as exhausted as I was!

Cheers to the male Precis hierta [Yellow Pansy] which is very rare here.

New Forum Topics

Topic Last post
A Basic Overview Of Key Elements For Home Improvement
by pasqualexuduqcuj on Mon, 1 Sep 14 , 0 replies
by pasqualexuduqcuj
1 hour 15 min ago
Why Use an Acne Facial Mask?
by theronomdlkkjue on Mon, 1 Sep 14 , 0 replies
by theronomdlkkjue
4 hours 9 min ago
Locating The Answers For Golfing Strategies
by rudolphbonython on Mon, 1 Sep 14 , 0 replies
by rudolphbonython
6 hours 15 min ago
How to Success On The Job from Job Hunting to Keep Your Job and Get Most of Out of It
by karafihellyvpanneux on Mon, 1 Sep 14 , 0 replies
by karafihellyvpanneux
6 hours 30 min ago
Cosmetic facial surgery:Turn back the clock
by donaldquinndqkmq on Mon, 1 Sep 14 , 0 replies
by donaldquinndqkmq
7 hours 34 min ago
How To Get For Under $100
by albachartreseaiylldm on Mon, 1 Sep 14 , 0 replies
by albachartreseaiylldm
8 hours 54 min ago
Goal Setting Guidelines And Strategies