Egg Wrack - Ascophyllum nodosum Whooper Swan - Cygnus cygnus Hasarius adansoni Clouds Lithospermum officinale - Common gromwell Zombitse NP Sign

Rare butterfly for Egypt

Rare butterfly for Egypt

2 posts / 0 new
Last post

A couple of days ago, I spent a few hours walking the 27 acres of the grounds of Cairo's Agricultural Museum, which incidentally is the oldest of its kind in the world.

As its not at the top of tourists’ ‘must visit’ list , the gardens are gloriously run down. The gardeners work at a pace that matches their appalling government wages and spend most of their time snoozing in the shade. There are some magnificent trees from all over the world many of which are hundreds of years old and a huge collection of palms, cactii, succulents and euphorbia and flowering shrubs.

There are also areas of ‘set aside’ that no gardener has visited for years, consequently it’s a wildlife paradise. I have intended to photograph birds however, there wasn’t an interesting species in sight or hearing for that matter.

For me, a first in any species is exciting and I glimpsed a butterfly I have only seen once before – you’ll have to take my word for it as I didn’t get a pic. I spent the next half an hour stalking the bl***y evasive beast until he was as exhausted as I was!

Cheers to the male Precis hierta [Yellow Pansy] which is very rare here.

Sounds an enchanting place and certainly worth the effort of chasing the beast! Well done .... Smile

Jacqueline Burrell;6295 wrote:
A couple of days ago, I spent a few hours walking the 27 acres of the grounds of Cairo's Agricultural Museum, which incidentally is the oldest of its kind in the world.

As its not at the top of tourists’ ‘must visit’ list , the gardens are gloriously run down. The gardeners work at a pace that matches their appalling government wages and spend most of their time snoozing in the shade. There are some magnificent trees from all over the world many of which are hundreds of years old and a huge collection of palms, cactii, succulents and euphorbia and flowering shrubs.

There are also areas of ‘set aside’ that no gardener has visited for years, consequently it’s a wildlife paradise. I have intended to photograph birds however, there wasn’t an interesting species in sight or hearing for that matter.

For me, a first in any species is exciting and I glimpsed a butterfly I have only seen once before – you’ll have to take my word for it as I didn’t get a pic. I spent the next half an hour stalking the bl***y evasive beast until he was as exhausted as I was!

Cheers to the male Precis hierta [Yellow Pansy] which is very rare here.

New Forum Topics

Topic Last post
Anyone still mooching about?
by Suzanne B on Mon, 25 Aug 14 , 5 replies
by Suzanne B
5 days 19 hours ago
Home Protection When You're Home Alone
by celindatimmonsp on Tue, 9 Sep 14 , 0 replies
by celindatimmonsp
1 week 2 days ago
Online Homework Guru
by zandrahoranuuwais on Sat, 6 Sep 14 , 0 replies