Field Vole - Microtus agrestis Lilingstone Lovell Pyrenees Atlantic looking north I should know this one Fossil Coral - Thamnopora cervicornis

Rare butterfly for Egypt

Rare butterfly for Egypt

2 posts / 0 new
Last post

A couple of days ago, I spent a few hours walking the 27 acres of the grounds of Cairo's Agricultural Museum, which incidentally is the oldest of its kind in the world.

As its not at the top of tourists’ ‘must visit’ list , the gardens are gloriously run down. The gardeners work at a pace that matches their appalling government wages and spend most of their time snoozing in the shade. There are some magnificent trees from all over the world many of which are hundreds of years old and a huge collection of palms, cactii, succulents and euphorbia and flowering shrubs.

There are also areas of ‘set aside’ that no gardener has visited for years, consequently it’s a wildlife paradise. I have intended to photograph birds however, there wasn’t an interesting species in sight or hearing for that matter.

For me, a first in any species is exciting and I glimpsed a butterfly I have only seen once before – you’ll have to take my word for it as I didn’t get a pic. I spent the next half an hour stalking the bl***y evasive beast until he was as exhausted as I was!

Cheers to the male Precis hierta [Yellow Pansy] which is very rare here.

Sounds an enchanting place and certainly worth the effort of chasing the beast! Well done .... Smile

Jacqueline Burrell;6295 wrote:
A couple of days ago, I spent a few hours walking the 27 acres of the grounds of Cairo's Agricultural Museum, which incidentally is the oldest of its kind in the world.

As its not at the top of tourists’ ‘must visit’ list , the gardens are gloriously run down. The gardeners work at a pace that matches their appalling government wages and spend most of their time snoozing in the shade. There are some magnificent trees from all over the world many of which are hundreds of years old and a huge collection of palms, cactii, succulents and euphorbia and flowering shrubs.

There are also areas of ‘set aside’ that no gardener has visited for years, consequently it’s a wildlife paradise. I have intended to photograph birds however, there wasn’t an interesting species in sight or hearing for that matter.

For me, a first in any species is exciting and I glimpsed a butterfly I have only seen once before – you’ll have to take my word for it as I didn’t get a pic. I spent the next half an hour stalking the bl***y evasive beast until he was as exhausted as I was!

Cheers to the male Precis hierta [Yellow Pansy] which is very rare here.

New Forum Topics

Topic Last post
Fungi of the day (part 2)
by goosey on Wed, 12 Nov 14 , 8 replies
by goosey
9 hours 6 min ago
Sand dune fungi
by goosey on Sun, 26 Sep 10 , 28 replies
by goosey
3 days 6 hours ago
Camera trap footage in Makgadikgadi Pans National Park Botswana
by Steefo on Sun, 21 Jul 13 , 14 replies