Parallel evolution Fungi Rose-ringed Parakeet (Psittacula krameri) Malus sp Beautiful December Morning Ice formation above flowing water.

Sun and Moon together.

Sun and Moon together.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

I saw a sight yesterday that I can't remember seeing before and that was at about 3.30pm when I looked one way down the street I could see the sun and when I looked the other way up the street I could see the moon.
It was a clear day with blue skies so both were really bright, I wish I could have took a photo but it was impossible to get them both in the same shot.
Anyway I was wondering how often this happens?
I know I've seen the moon out really early/late in the day but not seen both so close together.

We get day and night because of the Earth rotating - we get daytime when our bit of the world is facing the sun. The moon orbits the Earth - going around us once a month.

If the moon is on the opposite side of the Earth from the sun (about one week each month), then we see the moon during the night.

If the moon is on the same side of the Earth as the sun (also about one week a month), then we do not usually see the moon at all as the side of the moon nearest us in in darkness.

For the other two weeks a month the moon is positioned in such a way that sunlight can still reflect from the moon surface and reach us (which means we can see the moon) while we can see the sun at the same time. This means that the moon and sun will be at opposite sides of the sky.

h

ps. It was quite a sight wasn't it?

Hi h,
I have seen the moon and sun in the sky at the same time before, but they did look unusually close this week.
I never realised that it was such a regular occurrence though, makes me wonder where I've been looking all my life!
Thanks for the info. :)
Suzanne Smile

Thanks for this explanation of how the sun and the moon can appear in the sky simultaneously.

Sun & Moon in the Sky at the Same Time

In the Native world in the spring we call that the season of Two Moons - it's the time when the waters used for medicine are to be collected. Smile

beejayem;13796 wrote:
In the Native world in the spring we call that the season of Two Moons - it's the time when the waters used for medicine are to be collected. Smile

Hi beejayem and welcome to WATW :).
That is interesting, where do you come from?

New Forum Topics

Topic Last post
Juvenile crow? (Bad picture)
by goosey on Wed, 1 Oct 14 , 0 replies
by goosey
19 hours 24 min ago
Another odd Russula
by goosey on Wed, 1 Oct 14 , 0 replies
by goosey
1 day 5 hours ago
Russula
by bulbosa on Mon, 29 Sep 14 , 4 replies