Sheffield Botanic Gardens Galanthus Anoplius with Female Micrommata virescens Glow worm Larval Herring Gull - Larus argentatus African Sunsets

largest reptile ever

largest reptile ever

14 posts / 0 new
Last post

anyone know what was the largest reptile ever to live on planet earth...I say that because I remember watching some star treks as a kid where they had some massive reptiles on other planets Big Grin

Not sure what the biggest reptile would have been, but I do know that in Maastricht in the caves/quarries there have been two skeletons found of huge crocodile like animals, Mosasaurus (lizard of the Maas) hoffmanni. The larger of the two was 15 metres, so maybe the largest or at least on of the largest reptiles to roam western Europe?

The largest living reptile is the Australian Saltwater Crocodile (Crocodylus porosus). Largest confirmed adult male reaching 20.6 feet in length, some claims of ones reaching 23ft, but most *only* reach around 17ft.
An extinct relative of the modern Gharial called Rhamphosuchus had an estimated length of 50-60 ft.

The largest extinct Marine Reptile is a Pliosaur. A 150-million-year-old specimen was discovered in Svalbard in 2006 and analyzed at the Natural History Museum at the University of Oslo. It is estimated to be 50 feet long with 10-foot-long flippers.

Titanoboa

Well -this gets the record for the longest snake:
TheStar.com | World | Croc-eating snake was as big as T-rex
.... so far Wink

is this the biggest you ever did see?

snake - Wildlife Photography

100ft "snake" sparks fears of Mythical monster in Borneo.

Capall Dubh;6765 wrote:
snake - Wildlife Photography

100ft "snake" sparks fears of Mythical monster in Borneo.

Looks interesting Ruth - what else can you tell us about it?

Local Villagers living along the Baleh river in Borneo,believe the mythical creature has returned after the photo of a gigantic snake swimming along the remote waterways has emerged.

The picture,taken by a member of a disaster team monitoring flood regions by helicopter has sparked a hugh debate.

Earlier this month,scientists unearthed the fossil of a killer snake that was longer than a bus. Partial skeletons of the Boa constructor-like prehistoric killer were found in a colombian coal mine by a team of international fossil hunters.......

Are there no more photos? Personally if I was zipping about in a chopper I'd have been down closer and got more shots, wouldn't you? Maybe in a boat I'd have thought, 'uh na!'
Is it real?
if it is then it's a big B!
What else could it be? A joke? strange area of the world to try such a trick
Weird
h

tcvarlh;6782 wrote:
Are there no more photos? Personally if I was zipping about in a chopper I'd have been down closer and got more shots, wouldn't you? Maybe in a boat I'd have thought, 'uh na!'
Is it real?
if it is then it's a big B!
What else could it be? A joke? strange area of the world to try such a trick
Weird
h

Well yes, if i was there i could navigate the chopper:D and you indiana jones ,could dive into the murkey beyonds and take a close up photo of the big snake:rolleyes:I tried to down load more pics but ended up with a load of virusis.It was all over papers here.You can Google if you want(100 foot snake)daily mail.Beware of virus!Otherwise meet you in Borneo:)

Capall Dubh;6792 wrote:
Well yes, if i was there i could navigate the chopper:D and you indiana jones ,could dive into the murkey beyonds and take a close up photo of the big snake:rolleyes:I tried to down load more pics but ended up with a load of virusis.It was all over papers here.You can Google if you want(100 foot snake)daily mail.Beware of virus!Otherwise meet you in Borneo:)

Hey, Indi didn't like snakes, remember! So Indi wouldn't get near it. Apart from that, do you have a pilot's licence? For a chopper? You must have a few secrets, what with your name and all.:D
Zipped around the web and didn't find much more than the Mail's shot. Oh well, if the thing eats a village or two then we'll know it's real. 'Waiting is.'
Borneo sounds fun
Sláinte

h

There's a nice link about the snake and discussion about the credability of the photos
Cryptomundo Borneo Giant Snake Photographed

Reportedly the photographs of the huge snake were taken at 5.30 pm, on January 31, 2009, at one of the Sungai Baleh tributaries from the helicopter. But indeed, they are old photos, which have been floating around the internet since at least 2007. Check out
YouTube - Monster and Strange Creature

Aww Nuts,

Typical, something interesting and weird and it turns out a scam. I was sooooo looking forward to a trip to Borneo with an a melanistic equine quadruped.

H

tcvarlh;6818 wrote:
Aww Nuts,

Typical, something interesting and weird and it turns out a scam. I was sooooo looking forward to a trip to Borneo with an a melanistic equine quadruped.

H

Never say never!We could still go on a focker 50? After all, WE dont believe what the papers say Rite:rolleyes:

I think the largest reptile ever was the Sauropod Bruhathkayosaurus, which was between 130 - 145ft long and weighed between 170 - 225 tons.

New Forum Topics

Topic Last post
Camera trap footage in Makgadikgadi Pans National Park Botswana
by Steefo on Sun, 21 Jul 13 , 15 replies
by Steefo
4 days 4 hours ago
Addicted to earthstars (just finding them!)
by goosey on Thu, 24 Feb 11 , 6 replies
by goosey
5 days 5 hours ago
Fungi of the day (part 2)
by goosey on Wed, 12 Nov 14 , 8 replies
by goosey
6 days 3 hours ago
Sand dune fungi
by goosey on Sun, 26 Sep 10 , 28 replies
by goosey
1 week 2 days ago
Excitement! (Page: 1, 2)